Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Farewell East Newhall

I had a surprising shock to my system the other day. I was in Wyoming, Michigan, at the corner of 36th street and Burlingame getting gas. I looked over to the northeast corner to look at the very first school I attended. Much to my surprise all I seen was a pile of rubble, a front end loader and a whole lot of open space. I really don't know why but my breath was taken away for a moment. I suddenly realized that another piece of my history was gone. Now I'll be honest, a lot of what went on there is stuck in a fog in the back of my mind because I only went there for kindergarten and 1st grade, but I have memories. Memories of my kindergarten teacher whose name was Mrs. Post and we called her post toasties. Memories of eating my first fizzie on the playground. If you don't know what a fizzie was ask your parents. Memories like having to stay late for discipline in 1st grade and having a student walk in and ask the teacher, Miss Cunningham, if she had heard that the President had been shot.
I don't know why the school was tore down but I imagine it was due to obsolescence. I don't think it had been used for some time so it was basically only serving as a link to my, and thousands of others, past. The ball fields in back are where I grew up playing little league baseball. I wonder if they survived.
This event has made me realize that nothing is permanent. Everything either evolves or gets shoveled under. I am learning lessons from the things that happen around me more and more lately. I myself have had to evolve many times but still feel like I'm being shoveled under at times. All of us have had to adapt to many situations I'm sure.
I wonder what I thought my future would be like as I played on the playground or put crayons on the old radiators to watch them melt. Did I see myself as an astronaut, a fireman, a major league baseball player, or a college graduate? I'm not any of these. I'm sure I never dreamed I would be a realtor. But I am. And like that, as with any career, I can either evolve and adapt or I can be shoveled under.
How's your old elementary building doing?

1 comment:

  1. Mine was a one room country school with one teacher for grades K thru 8. It was torn down about 1970 i'm guessing. The good old days huh?
    Dad D.

    ReplyDelete